It Shall be Well!
To say that we are living in a stressful time is an understatement. Is there a solution to all this? I believe so. Listen to this.
Come to me, all (ye) that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest.
If you are like me, that verse is very familiar and maybe you already have memorized it. It refers to us taking all our troubles to The Lord who will bear it for us. What an appropriate verse to fall back to at this time of isolation and quarantine!
Everyone’s life has been turned upside down. Parents who dreamed of a job where they could work from home have gotten their wish. Yes, no more of Atlanta’s neck to neck traffic. Yes, no more long waits at the bus station for those that rely on public buses in other countries.
What complicates the whole scenario is that the kids are home too. Yes, they get to stay home all day. Yes, there is no bullying during recess or during the ride home on the school bus. The school has moved home as well. The traffic stress has been replaced by the stress of managing work and keeping the kids up to date with their school work. Another dilemma is that most of the teachers have to keep up with the class and their own children. How about those essential workers?
How is everyone coping with all this? I have a few tips.
- Pray. Read God’s word over and over. Saturate yourself with His word.
- Practice self-compassion when you don’t get everything completed
- Seek professional help. Sometimes it seems like you have reached the end of your rope. Don’t do it alone.
- No man is an island and there is not a better time than this to rely on your good friends. Do not keep it all in.
- Some parents have been homeschooling for a long time. Seek them out and ask for advice or help. You might be surprised at how much help they can be.
- Plan appropriately. Time management can be the key to all the stress piled on us.
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”
That is not a request. We are commanded to:-
- Be strong
- be courageous
- don’t fear
Cleave to what is good!